Why Are Children at a Higher Risk for Lead Poisoning?

January 31, 2021

Lead Poisoning is a disease that is often taught about in the context of child safety. Why is that? Are kids more susceptible to this kind of poisoning? If so, why?

Children are in fact more susceptible to the effects of lead poisoning, and it is for the following reasons:

  1. Being that peeling, lead-containing paint is the most common source of Lead Poisoning, children are the most likely to inhale this substance for one simple reason: they often put their hands or other objects that may contain lead dust inside their mouths. Children explore the world by putting things in their mouths, so if there is chipping lead-based paint around, it is probable that they will ingest some.
  2. Children’s bodies are constantly growing and are very impressionable. Therefore, even a slight ingestion of lead dust will be more quickly absorbed by children as compared to adults.
  3. The above also applies to the brains of children. Their malleable and constantly developing brains and nervous systems are more sensitive to the harsh effects of lead. Lead Poisoning in developing children can result in many neurological issues including delays, attention difficulty, memory loss, and headaches.

Resource:

https://www.stanfordchildrens.org/en/topic/default?id=lead-poisoning-in-children-90-P02832#:~:text=Lead%20is%20more%20dangerous%20to,the%20damaging%20effects%20of%20lead.

Was this article helpful?
YesNo

More articles about

Instant Customer Service

Our team of expert technicians are here for you around the clock
Call Now
Chat Now
Email Us
Send SMS